Chartered 7 September 1988
Charter presented at Café 100, Baycourt, Tauranga, 24 September 1988 Anne Tabak was Charter President and Kathy Webb was Charter Secretary
FEATURE EVENTS & FUNDRAISERS INCLUDE:
- Art Auctions
- Golf Tournaments
- DIY Ladies Charity Events International Women’s Day Breakfasts Garden/Art Festivals
- Making Breast Cancer Cushions ’Relay for Life’ support
- Hosting ‘Election Question time’
- Pink Ribbon & White Ribbon Day Activities Garage Sales
- Movie Nights Market Stalls
PROJECTS SUPPORTED INCLUDE:
- School for Young Parents Life Education Trust
- Duffy Books in Homes Breast Cancer Support
- Valerie Webster Scholarship (inaugurated in 2005)
- Young Women in Public Affairs
- Women’s Refuge Shakti Refuge
- Superdockets – message on back of supermarket docket with Helpline contact details to Refuge
- Zonta says NO campaign
- Literacy BOP
CONVENTION ATTENDEES INCLUDE:
Christine Grant Lois Hellings Val Webster
We nominated Jane Sargison for an Amelia Earhart Scholar and she became ‘Engineer of the Year’ in Australia in 2012
We have put forward to District 16 Danika Hotham from Papamoa as Young Woman in Public Affairs in April 2014
The Club belongs to National Council of Women.
- Val Webster -‐ District Governor when District 16 was both Australia and NZ.
- Several members have held the position of Area Director including; Alison Wilson, Pat Costello, Lois Hellings & Susanne Doerner.
- Gail McIntosh (present President) is a former MP & presently a City Councillor Paula Thompson was CEO of Tauranga District Council
ANECDOTES & INDIVIDUAL MEMBER COMMENTS:
Q. What have you enjoyed?
Getting results with lots of laughs, fellowship, wide age group of members, organising the 21st Dinner, working on the Garage sales especially loved working with the younger women, enduring friendships, Conferences – the sharing, information and meeting other Zontians, on-‐going fellowship, fun and laughter – heart-‐warming to hear, results of money after hard work, supporting and encouraging younger women, avoiding being President!, preparing the Newsletter, Dinner meetings.
Compiled by Historian: Judy Entwisle