A Brief History of the Zonta Club of: Wellington
Under Combined District 16 – Australia/NZ
- Zonta Club of Wellington was chartered on 19 May 1969
- It was the second club to be chartered in NZ with Auckland the first in May 1966.
- The club meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month except December
- Beverley Shore Bennett was District 16 Governor 1976-78
- Club hosted District 16 Conference April 1-3
- D16 Area 4 Director 1978-80 was Ann Mallinson
- Club has chartered following clubs: Palmerston North, Hutt Area, Mana Area, Port
District 16 was split into three in 1990, with Australia becoming Districts 23 and 24 and New Zealand retaining District 16 as it had the earliest chartered club (Auckland) within combined District.
Under District 16 New Zealand Only
- D16 Area 2 Directors: 1990-92 Mandy Natush/Loes Walker; 1996-98 Lynn McKenzie; 2000-02 Marj Williams (then Hutt Club); 2002-04 Annette Boddy; 2012-14 Barbara Pope, 2014-16 Janine
- Club inaugurated in 1990 Zonta Science Award – a biennial
- Club hosted or co-hosted District 16 Conferences Sept 20–22 1991, Sept 17–19 1999, 2-4 October 2009
- Club becomes involved in 2000 in Zonta International’s Young Women in Public Affairs Awards for Wellington Area Zonta
- Club becomes involved in 2002 with Zonta Design Awards in conjunction with Mana and Hutt
- Governor District 16 Lynn McKenzie 2002-04
- Club inaugurated in 2004 Zonta/Building Research
- Lynn McKenzie has held Zonta International roles as Director 2004-06, Chair of Status of Women Service 2006-08, Vice President 2008-10, President Elect 2010-12, International President 2012-14.
- D16 Foundation Ambassador 2004-06 was Annette Boddy
- Zonta Club of Hutt dissolved 2005.
- Zonta International Chairs of Committees 2012-14; Jane M Klausman-Janine Gould; Finance- Souella Cumming.
- Zonta International PR Committee member 2012-14 Therese.
- Zonta District 16 Treasurer 2012-14 Souella Cumming, also 2014-16.
|PAST CLUB PRESIDENTS|
|1969-70 Beverley Shore Bennett Charter President||1985-86 Annette Boddy||2001-02 Jan Nye|
|1970-71 Doreen Neal||1986-87 Brenda Cutress||2002-03 Clare Pinder|
|1971-72 Ann Mallinson||1987-88 Annette Boddy/Brenda Cutress||2003-04 Clare Pinder|
|1972-73 Isabel Thomson||1988-89 Mandy Natusch||2004-05 Joanne Lentfer|
|1973-74 Dame Pat Evison||1989-90 Adele McLay||Year changed to calendar year|
|1974-75 Ilse Mackaskill||1990-91 Loes Walker||2006 Roxanne Shaw|
|1975-76 Dame Margaret Sparrow||1991-92 Hilary Lamb (Baskerville)||2007 Karen Whitiskie|
|1976-77 Sharryn Waters||1992-93 Mary Gainsford||2008 Therese Marie|
|1977-78 Sandra Moran||1993-94 Lynn McKenzie||2009 Sue Hope|
|1978-79 Inge Woolf||1994-95 Beverley McGlashan||2010 Barbara Pope|
|1979-80 Judith Clark||1995-96 Joan Nicol||2011 Souella Cumming|
|1980-81 Margaret Haywood||1996-97 Janine Gould||2012 Jen McKinlay- Birkin|
|1981-82 Marie Keir||1997-98 Penelope Austin||2013 Sandra Daly|
|1982-83 Margaret Van Arendonk||1998-99 Patricia Logan||2014 Agnes Espineda|
|1983-84 Dorothy Carmody||1999-2000 Elisabeth Airex||2015 Dr Jan Pearson|
|1984-85 Christine Reardon||2000-01 Olwen Taylor|
|ZONTA SCIENCE AWARD WINNERS|
|1990 Dr Jean Fleming, research scientist||2004 Dr Ursula Cochran, earth scientist|
|1992 Dr Pip Gerard, environmental scientist||2006 Dr Victoria Metcalf, biochemical scientist|
|1994 Dr Jacqueline Rowarth, plant physiologist||2008 Dr Deidre Hart, earth researcher|
|1996 Dr Wendy Nelson, botanist||2010 Dr Julia Lim, Biological Scientist|
|1998 Dr Helen Neil, paleoceanographer||2012 Dr Anna Ponnampalam, Gynaecology Scientist|
|2000 Dr Michele Prinsep, organic chemist||2014 Dr Laura Green, Immunologist
|2002 Dr Julia Charity, forestry biotechnologist|
|ZONTA/BUILIDING AWARD WINNERS|
|2004 Helen Greenep, Plant biosystematics technician||2006-07 Maive Hume-Nixon, Queen Margaret College|
|2006 Caroline Shorter, Research Scientist||2007-08 Kate Middleton-Oliver, Wellington East Girls College|
|2008 Wendy Saunders, Natural Hazard Planner (last award)||2008-09 Charlotte Davis, Queen Margaret College|
|YOUNG WOMEN IN PUBLIC AFFAIRS WINNERS|
|2000-01 Crystal Marks, Newlands College||2009-10 Manidipa Das, Hutt Valley High School|
|2001-02 Sarah Natusch, Queen Margaret College||2010-11 Katja Heesterman, Queen Margaret College|
|2002-03 Kristie Richardson, St Catherines College |
|2011-12 Camille Villa, Sacred Heart College|
|2003-04 Cherrie Kong, Wellington Girls College||2012-13 Sarah Pereira, Sacred Heart College|
|2004-05 Lauren Pratt, St Orans College||2013-14 Jessica Fenton, Wellington Girls College|
|2005-06 Selina Powell, Wellington High School||2014-15 Anna Collett, Wellington High School|
|DESIGN AWARD WINNERS|
|Combined Clubs of Hutt, Mana, & Wellington - $2000 award|
|2002 Jamie McLennan||2003 Shelley Farrell|
|2004 Helena Webster – Industrial||2007 Nov Amy Robinson - Industrial|
|2005 Tessa Benham – Fashion & Textile||2008 Ruth Browne – Textile|
|2006 Sarah Jackson – Graphic||2009 Andrea Bednarek, Photographic|
|2007 May Lucy Cant - Industrial||2010/11 Kelly Olatunji, Textile|
Design Awards & Massey University College of Creative Arts Sponsored Awards in conjunction with Weta Workshop (Industrial Design), Clemengers BBDO till 2006 then replaced by Saatchi & Saatchi(Graphic Design ), Limited Editions (Interior Design), Rembrandt Suits (Fashion Design), ES Design (Textile Design), Imagelab (Photographic Design). Originally $1,000 for section winners and $5,000 for supreme winner but were revised from 2009 to $500 for section winners plus mentoring from sponsors plus $1000 for supreme winner (sponsors Weta Workshop, Imagelab, ES Design, Limited Editions, Ruby Boutique and Saatchi & Saatchi). Design Awards were discontinued in 2012.
Club Project 2014-2015
Assistance to Sexual Abuse Assessment & Treatment Services, Wellington (SAATS).
Compiled by Author/Historian: Wellington Club